The average garage door opens and closes thousands of times a year. Over time, wear and tear can lead to chipped paint, cracked panels, and worn parts. It’s not constantly clear when to repair your door or simply replace it, but here are a few factors to keep in mind.
The Life Span of a Garage Door
Garage doors do not need to be replaced frequently. A high-quality garage door can last up to 20-25 years with the proper precautionary maintenance. To prolong the life of your garage door, you should take the following steps at least twice a year to ensure your garage door is still in proper working condition:
- Inspection: Open and Close your garage door manually (without using the opener) and automatically (using the opener). You should also visually inspect the rollers, cables, track, and brackets for visible wear. *** Please note, a garage door spring is very dangerous and should be inspected by a professional! ***
- Safety checks: Conduct auto-reverse tests by putting a sturdy object like a brick to block the garage’s photo-eye sensor. While the door is closing, it should reverse automatically to prevent crashing into the object.
- Maintenance: Spray your garage door panels, apply lubricant to moving parts, clean the tracks of debris, and tighten up the tracks and hinges with a screwdriver.
Signs That It’s Time to Replace Your Garage Door
Pay attention to these areas when deciding whether or not it is time to replace your garage door:
- Noise: You should contact a professional to inspect your garage door when it becomes noisy or vibrates during operation.
- Motion: If the door stops opening or closing, it could be the spring, off-track, or opener.
- Panels: Damaged panels will open the inside of your garage to the elements — and the damage can spread over time.
- Energy: It might be time to replace your garage door if you notice your energy usage has increased. Newer doors with advanced insulation can help to regulate temperatures and your utility bills. See our article on Insulation on Blue’s Coaching Corner.
Occasionally it can be tough to decide if you should replace or repair your garage door. Repairs may eventually become more expensive than the investment to buy and install a new garage door. There are some common garage repairs you can do yourself, but a brand-new garage door can save you a lot of time and money in the long run!
The Advantages of a New Garage Door
A new garage door can drastically enhance your day-to-day life with convenient features and increase your curb appeal with a new stylish design. Newer door models offer superior safety features, like keypads rather than traditional key locks. Many also include smart home features such as a mobile app, remote ability to open or close your door, and security cameras built in.
Another major benefit is that high-quality garage doors can boost the price of your home, helping you earn a higher return on investment when you want to sell.